VoLTE technology and 4G voice calling
VoLTE stands for 'Voice over Long Term Evolution', which is part of mobile high-speed wireless communication standards. That means voice calls will work on 4G networks, and on our 5G network.
Up until recently, voice calls would connect over 2G and 3G networks, while 4G has typically been used for data transmission. Enabling 4G Calling calls means better connectivity for the mobile network and, more importantly, better capacity.
Key benefits of the Voice over Long-Term Evolution (VoLTE) upgrade, otherwise known as '4G Calling', includes reduced background noise on voice calls and quicker call connection.
Vodafone, of course, will continue to support voice calls over 3G and 2G, for devices that are not 4G capable - or if you are outside a 4G coverage area.
VoLTE technology is a core part of the 5G standard, and voice calling will continue to be provided over 4G using VoLTE.
What VoLTE technology means for you.
Using VoLTE means you'll experience crystal clear audio on your calls and better connectivity. And VoLTE supports 4G to 3G handover to ensure call continuity and a smooth experience.
How to get enabled for 4G Calling:
- First of all, check whether you are within a 4G Calling/VoLTE coverage area, using our 4G coverage map. Vodafone will continue to roll out VoLTE, so if you are not within coverage yet, keep checking.
- Next, check whether your phone supports VoLTE. A list of supported devices is below.
- For iPhone users, that includes models from iPhone 6 and newer, all the way up to iPhone 11.
- For Android users, that includes phones like Galaxy S9 and newer.
- Next, you'll need to update your firmware. You can prompt this update yourself.
- Finally, you need to enable VoLTE in your phone settings.
Where VoLTE is available today.
Vodafone's 4G Calling deployment is now live across New Zealand.The first area to benefit from 4G Calling was Auckland’s North Shore in June 2019, and we now have finished our nationwide upgrade program. RBI2 sites are designed to support 4G Calling as they are switched on.
VoLTE capable phones and devices
Vodafone supports a range of VoLTE capable mobile phones and devices, including these:
- Apple – iPhone 6 and newer models (iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, SE, X, Xr, Xs, Xs Max, 8, 8 Plus, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, SE 2nd Gen)
- Huawei – B525
- OPPO – A72, Find X2 Lite, Find X2 Pro
- Mobiwire – Ogima
- Samsung – Galaxy A01, A10, A11, A20, A21s, A30, A31, A50, A51, A70, A80, A90 5G, Fold (4G), Note 10, Note 10+, Note 10+ 5G, Note 8, Note 9, S20 Ultra, S20+, S20, S10, S10+, S10e, S9, S9+, J5 Pro, Xcover 4S, XCover Pro, Z Flip, J6
- Vodafone - Vodafone Smart X9, N10, V11
Recently supplied B525 modems will receive a firmware upgrade over the network, with no intervention required by customers.
Frequently asked questions
Is VoLTE enabled by default?
Currently, iPhone users will need to switch VoLTE on manually. To do this, look under Settings > Mobile > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G Voice and Data.
For Samsung handset users, VoLTE is set to be default on for VoLTE capable devices, so customers with an S9 or S10 will see “VoLTE” on the top of their screen.