A small number of mobile phones we sell are locked to the Vodafone network.
These phones can be unlocked, so they can be used on another mobile network - with that network's SIM card.
How much does unlocking cost?
- There is no charge to unlock a mobile phone that was bought from us more than 9 months ago.
- There is a $30 (incl. GST) fee to unlock a mobile phone bought less than 9 months ago.
Here's how you can unlock one of these network-locked phones.
Steps to unlock your Vodafone mobile.
Simply click the red button below, and follow the steps to get the unlock instructions for your particular mobile.
A link to your instructions will also be sent to the email address you provide.
Before you start:
- Have your IMEI number handy. To find your IMEI number, enter *#06# on your keypad, or look under your mobile phone's battery.
- The non-Vodafone SIM card needs to be in the locked Vodafone NZ mobile phone to enter your unlock code.
- If your phone was purchased less than 9 months ago you’ll need your debit or credit card to pay the unlock fee - you cannot use Vodafone Prepay credit to do this.
Do you have a PIN-locked SIM card?
This is a different kind of locking and it happens when you've entered the wrong PIN too many times.
You can learn how to unlock your SIM with a PUK code.
Important things to know
- Network unlocking is only required if you plan to use your Vodafone NZ mobile with another provider's SIM card (including overseas networks).
- We cannot guarantee that an unlocked mobile phone will be compatible with another specific network. This is because different networks may use different technologies and mobile frequencies. Please check compatibility requirements with the destination network provider.
- We can only help with unlocking Vodafone New Zealand mobile devices purchased from an authorised Vodafone retailer that hasn’t been tampered with, 'jail broken' or flashed.
- A Vodafone NZ mobile must only be unlocked by following our unlocking instructions. Attempting to unlock a Vodafone NZ mobile by any other means (including by entering an incorrect code more than three times) may cause the phone to become unworkable, and void the applicable warranty. Vodafone will not be liable for any damage that may occur.
- No guarantee can be given that our instructions will work for phones that have been 'jail broken' or had the manufacturers' settings tampered with.
- Standard Prepay Terms and Conditions apply.