Apply for Vulnerable Customer or Medical Dependency Registration

What's the difference between the Vulnerable Consumer Register and the Medical Dependency Register?

The Vulnerable Consumer Register focuses on landline service consumers who are more likely to need to contact 111 due to medical, safety or disability reasons, and would not have the means to do so during a power failure. 

In contrast, the Medical Dependency Register is used as a way of ensuring that a medically dependent person is not unduly placed at risk when connecting, disconnecting, maintaining, or repairing faults with their telecommunications service.  

If you are registered on the Medical Dependency Register, you will still need to fill out an Application form to be considered for the Vulnerable Consumer Register.

Vulnerable Customer Registration

What is a Vulnerable Consumer?

  1. You (or someone in your household) is at particular risk of needing to call 111 emergency services for health, safety, or disability reasons; and  
  2. You have a voice calling over broadband service provided over Fibre, UltraFast HFC, VDSL, ADSL or Wireless technology and you, or someone you live with, do not have access to a traditional copper phone line.
    Note: The Code only applies to landline voice services. Broadband only customers cannot apply; and 
  3. You (or a person in your household) have no means to contact the 111 emergency service at the premises, or the means that you do have can't be operated for a continuous 8-hour period in the event of a power failure.   

How to apply:

It's super easy to apply.

Just download the 111 Contact Code - Vulnerable Consumer Register, fill it out with all the correct details (including any evidence required) and return it to us via email or post.

Email to:


Post it to: 

  • Attn:  111 Vulnerable Consumer Register  
  • Vodafone New Zealand  
  • Limited Private Bag 92143  
  • Auckland 1142  

Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 438 448 between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday, and we'll work through the application with you. 

Please note that we cannot fully process your application until we have all the information needed. If we require more information than is provided, we'll be in touch. 

Once your application is submitted it can take up to 10 working days for us to process it, after which we will contact you to let you know if your application was successful or not. 

Any unsuccessful applications may be disputed. 

What if the vulnerable person is unable to complete their application?

Not to worry. If the vulnerable person is unable to submit an application, please provide us with details of a nominated person for us to get in touch with. A nominated person is somebody who, by virtue of their occupation, is capable of verifying that you are at risk of requiring 111 emergency services. Please ensure your nominated person has given you permission before you include them in your application. 

Here are a few examples of an acceptable nominated person:

  • A health practitioner (like your GP)
  • A Police Officer
  • Registered social worker
  • A lawyer
  • A family court judge

If you are a Vodafone customer (the Account holder) or a person who is listed as an authority on the customer's account, you can apply on behalf of yourself, or on behalf of someone who lives at the premises where the home phone line is supplied.

What happens to the information I provide?

Due to the requirements of the Code as set out by the Commerce Commission, there may be instances where your information needs to be shared. By applying, you understand and consent to Vodafone sharing your application status with the Commerce Commission. We will never share your information with other third parties that are not related to supporting your status as a Vulnerable Consumer. 

What will I receive from Vodafone and how will it be installed?

Only one alternative means of contacting 111 will be provided per household. The device provided will be based on your needs in respect of your particular risk as a Vulnerable Consumer.

Can I keep the device if I leave Vodafone?

If you leave Vodafone you will need to return the alternative means of contacting 111 we provided to you. You will also be removed from the Vulnerable Consumer Register. 

Indicative List of Eligible Health, Disability and Safety Criteria

Consumers at high risk of personal safety 
The support provided under the Vulnerable Consumer service also applies to Consumers and their dependants who are or were in a close relationship with someone who has had a protection order served against them in favour of the applicant.   Consumers at high risk due to disability 

  • Sensory Impairment 
  • Intellectual Impairment 
  • Physical Impairment 

If you're unsure whether your medical condition would qualify you for Medical Dependency Registration, please talk to your health practitioner (for example, a doctor).
If you're unsure whether your safety or disability would qualify you for Vulnerable Customer Registration, please talk to your local police officer, currently registered social worker, lawyer (with a current practising certificate), or a family court judge.

Medical Dependency Registration

If you are a Vodafone account holder and you or someone in your household has a medical condition that depends on copper landline telephone access for critical medical support, you can apply to be placed on our Medical Dependency Register. This will ensure that the medically dependent person is not unduly placed at risk when connecting, disconnecting, maintaining, or repairing faults with their telecommunications service.  

How to apply:

Determine if you or someone living at your home has a diagnosed life-threatening medical condition. As a guide, consider the 'indicative list of eligible medical conditions' below, or if you are unsure, consult your doctor. Download, print, read and complete Medical Dependency Application Form (PDF download) 

Before submitting your application, please check that you have:

  • Read the information guide;  
  • Read the eligibility criteria;  
  • Completed the application form; and 
  • Provided the information in support of the application

You can submit your completed application form and medical certificate by: 

  1. Emailing it to:, or
  2. Posting the form and supporting evidence to: 
    • Attn:  Collections Team
    • Vodafone New Zealand  
    • Limited Private Bag 92161
    • Auckland 1142  

NOTE:Your application for Medical Dependency Registration cannot be processed until all sections have been completed and signed and we have received a copy of your medical certificate.

Indicative List of Eligible Medical Conditions

Consumers at high risk of respiratory emergencies

  • Anaphylaxis or angioedema.
  • Severe asthma (Grade 5 as specified by the MRC Dyspnoea Scale).

Consumers with high-risk mental health disorders
Severe mental health disorder with significant risk of self-harm or harm to others. Technology dependent patients who are at high risk

  • Haemodialysis in the home.
  • Patients on home respirators or with tracheostomies.
  • Oxygen dependent patients (e.g. with severe obstructive pulmonary disease).

Consumers at risk of life-threatening hypoglycaemia or epilepsy

  • Unstable insulin-dependent diabetes.
  • Poorly controlled grand-mal seizures.

Consumers at high risk of obstetric and neonatal emergencies

  • High-risk pregnancy (e.g. placenta praevia).
  • Infants at risk (e.g. because of prematurity) with history of apnoea.

Consumers at high risk of cardiovascular emergencies

  • Ventricular arrhythmias.
  • Unstable angina.
  • Acute myocardial infarction within the last 6 months.
  • On a waiting list for aortic aneurysm, coronary or carotid artery surgery

Other dependent patients who live alone, without support or in remote locations
Patients with other dependent medical conditions with a lesser risk of rapid deterioration may qualify for Vulnerable Customer status only if they live alone, without social support, or in a remote location, for example:

  • Dialysis patients
  • Oncology patients
  • AIDS patients
  • Haemophilia patients, and others with bleeding disorders
  • People with severe disability.

If you're unsure whether your medical condition would qualify you for Medical Dependency Registration, please talk to your health practitioner (for example, a doctor).

Back to top