5G Wireless Broadband is here
5G Wireless Broadband is live in parts of selected NZ cities. Getting 5G Broadband up and running at your place is super easy — just grab a 5G modem, plug it in and you're ready to go. Installation is that simple. And even better, there's no need for landlord consent if you're renting. It's easy as!
With Unlimited 5G Broadband* you'll never run out of data, no matter how much you stream, scroll, surf or game. Fair use applies.
Check out what's available at your place or give us a call today.
What is Wireless Broadband?
Wireless Broadband is a reliable broadband service that runs over our mobile network; it's the mobile aspect that makes it wireless.
Installation for Wireless Broadband is simple and easy — no complex installation and no need for a technician. With wireless, just plug in your new wireless modem and you're good to go.
Wireless Broadband plans
Save $10/month on your broadband plan if you have a Vodafone Pay Monthly Mobile Plan. Terms apply.
Do you have a Vodafone Pay Monthly Mobile Plan?
Your discount has been applied to the eligible plans below
Where available speeds shown are national peak time average speeds based on the Commerce Commission’s Measuring Broadband New Zealand (MBNZ) March 2022. The calculating of average 5G speeds for customers is underway.
You may experience higher or lower speeds than these national averages. Factors such as the performance of your modem, location of the server or exchange you’re connected to, the performance and age of the devices you are using and your in-home Wifi setup, can impact the speeds experienced.
For wireless connections, factors such as the distance you are from a cell tower, the network capability, and the overall use of that cell tower by other customers can impact the speed experienced. Wireless Broadband services are available at eligible addresses only, and a Fair Use Policy applies.
Terms and Conditions
^$10 Per Month For life of plan: Offer only available to new and existing customers, when signing onto a 12 month or open term Unlimited or Ultimate Home broadband Fibre100, VDSL, ADSL, HFC, or who sign onto a 12 month 4G Wireless broadband 300GB or 600GB, or unlimited 4G broadband or 5G broadband plan. Only applies to the standard monthly plan charge. Not available with other offers. Offer may be withdrawn at anytime. Terms apply,
see Broadband $10 discount terms.
SuperWifi Offer: Sign up to Unlimited Broadband, or Wireless Broadband 600GB 12 month term plan, to redeem your SuperWifi units. Wall-to-wall Wifi guaranteed or get $100 broadband credit within 90 days of redemption. Guarantee and $100 credit only available to residential customers. Fees apply if you cancel or transfer your plan or billing account within 24 months. TP-link Deco App required. Coverage can be impacted by factors such as network conditions and environmental factors. Offer may be amended or withdrawn by Vodafone at any time. Terms apply. For details on guarantee and terms, see SuperWifi terms
4G Broadband: Only available in selected areas (rural areas are specifically excluded). Sufficient 4G coverage and capacity is also required. Ask us to check your address. The modem must only be used at the location nominated by the customer. Network guarantee - get your money back for up to 30 days after you join Vodafone as a Wireless Broadband customer. See network guarantee terms. Early termination charge applies to 12 month contracts. Traffic management will apply and terms and fair use apply, see Wireless Broadband terms.
5G Broadband: Only available in select parts of Auckland, Tauranga, Whanganui, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown. Check availability at your address using our Address checker. Modem must be used at the location nominated by the customer. Home phone activation may take up to 7 days. Get your money back for up to 30 days after you join Vodafone as a Wireless Broadband customer. See Network Guarantee terms. Graduated early termination charge applies to a minimum of $125. Traffic management will apply and terms and fair use apply, see Wireless broadband terms.
Important things to know
You can make unlimited national calls for an additional $10. (Up to 7 days to connect phone service)
Services that require a fixed line phone line to work, such as monitored home alarms, medical alarms, faxes, the interactive features of SKY digital or PABXs may be incompatible with our calling service. Vodafone recommend checking with the provider of any existing fixed line dependant services.
Using your home phone
- If power is not available then broadband, and any services which run over it including calling from your home phone (and calls to emergency services), may stop working unless there is battery backup at your place.
- Once your broadband is connected you’ll need to plug your home phone directly into your Vodafone supplied modem instead of the wall phone jack. Non-Vodafone modems will not work.
- Making phone calls – you’ll now need to dial the area code before dialling the phone number, eg 09, 07, 03 etc. There may be a delay of up to 10 secs before it starts ringing. You can reduce this by pressing * when you dial.
- If your Broadband service ends for any reason you must return the modem in good working condition with cables and accessories within 30 days of notifying us of your intention to terminate.
On Account Discount
A "$10" discount on your broadband monthly plan price is available when you link a Vodafone On Account mobile to your Vodafone home broadband account. Each validated On Account phone number may only be registered against one broadband account. The discount will no longer apply if you no longer have an eligible On Account mobile plan.
Consumer terms and Wireless Broadband terms apply.
SuperWifi – the future of Wifi
With 5G Unlimited Wireless Broadband, you'll be able to unleash the power of Vodafone SuperWifi. Fair use applies.
SuperWifi works with two mesh nodes to create a dynamic Wifi network that delivers great service wall-to-wall. And if it doesn't give you Wifi to every corner of your home, we'll give you a $100 account credit on your broadband. No upfront costs for the units. No rental charges. As long as you stay on any eligible Vodafone broadband plan for 24 months, we’ll cover the cost of the units. All you have to do is redeem the units once your broadband plan is up and running.
SuperWifi includes great features such as Antivirus Protection, Device Prioritisation and Parental Controls so that you can keep the littlest family members safer online, all through the Deco app. It's easy to set up, easy to use and is supported by our great team of remote and in-home experts.
Wireless Broadband FAQs
How do I get 5G Broadband?
When will 5G Broadband be available in my area?
We cannot guarantee dates of when 5G will be rolled out to specific areas, but will provide updates throughout the 5G rollout, when possible.
Can I use Vodafone TV with Wireless Broadband?
How do I set up my 5G Broadband modem?
If you have 4G Broadband and are upgrading to 5G Broadband, head to vodafone.co.nz/4Gto5G and let our chatbot Hana know you have your new modem. Once we hear from you, we’ll turn off your old 4G modem and will switch you over to 5G Broadband. It’s normally instant, but it can take up to 30 minutes to change over. Make sure you use the new SIM card provided with your 5G modem – your old 4G SIM card won’t work with the new device. If you don’t already have 4G Broadband, you can skip this step.
If you have a TP-Link Deco X80-5G modem, follow the below steps to set up:
- Plug your modem into a power plug and wait until the light on the side pulses blue – the best place for a strong connection is near a window.
- Download the TP-Link Deco app and follow the simple in app instructions to finish setting up your new modem and WiFi network – make sure you select the X80-5G as your modem type in the app.
- Use the network name and password you created in the app to connect your devices.
If you already have the TP-Link Deco app installed from setting up SuperWifi, you will need to reset your network to make the Deco X80-5G the master device:
- Tap on the globe icon at the top of the app’s home screen, click the three dots and delete the network.
- Your SuperWifi units will then start flashing blue – we recommend unplugging them until it’s time to add them back into your new network.
- Follow the in app prompts to set up your new Deco X80-5G modem.
- Once your new network is up and running, you can add your SuperWifi units to the network.
If you have a Huawei H122 5G modem, follow the below steps to set up:
- Plug your modem into a power plug – the best place for a strong connection is near a window.
- When the 5G light on the front turns on, you’re connected to our superfast 5G network. A green light means you have a strong connection, a yellow light means moderate and a red light means there’s a weak connection. If needed, move your modem to get a better signal strength, such as trying window on the other side of the house or ensuring it’s not covered by anything.
- Use the WiFi Name and WiFi Password on the sticker on the bottom of the modem to connect your devices.
If you need help setting up call us on 0800 800 966.
How do I set up my new 4G modem?
- Plug your modem into a power plug – the best place for a strong connection is near a window
- When the light on the front turns from red to blue you’re connected to our superfast 4G network. It’ll happen pretty quickly. The more bars showing on the modem, the stronger the connection. If needed, move your modem to get a better signal strength.
- Use the network name (SSID) and password (WiFi Key) on the bottom of the modem to connect your devices. And that’s it! You’re now online.
If you need help setting up call us on 0800 800 966
How do I choose my own WiFi password?
- Open the TP-Link Deco app.
- Click on the ‘more’ icon on the bottom right of the home screen.
- Select the WiFi icon and change the network name (SSID) and password within the app.
To change your network name and password on a Huawei modem, follow the below steps:
- Connect a device to WiFi using the network name (SSID) and password on the bottom of the modem.
- Open a new browser on this device and go to 192.168.1.1 – the login screen will then be displayed.
- Log in using the password on the bottom of the modem, which is printed under the IP address. If you have updated this password previously, then use the password you created.
- Click on the WiFi Settings tab – the WiFi Basic Settings screen will then appear.
- Select the WiFi name (SSID) field, click edit and then enter the new name for your WiFi.
- In the WiFi password section, enter the new password for your Wifi.
- We recommend that the 5GHz preferred is selected – this means that both the 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi bands use the same Wifi name and password.
- Click save at the bottom of the page.
If you need help setting up call us on 0800 800 966
How do I set up my new home phones?
- Pop the batteries into each phone.
- Plug the larger base unit into the back of your new modem and into a power plug – no phone jack required.
- Plug the smaller base unit into any power socket – it's a spare phone for you to have anywhere you’d like in your home.
Making phone calls – you’ll now need to dial the area code before dialling the phone number, eg 09, 07, 03 etc.
If you need help setting up call us on 0800 800 966
Is 5G safe to use?
Are there any services I can't use with Wireless Broadband?
- If you have a monitored home alarm or medical alarm, it’s really important that you call your alarm provider to find out if it’s compatible with Wireless Broadband.
- Other services that can’t be used with Wireless Broadband are: EFTPOS machines that require a landline, faxes, multi line, static IP and ISDN/PBXs.
What is the 111 Contact Code?
Newer home phone services such as voice calling over broadband, which rely on an active working broadband service, won’t work in the event of a power failure, without an independent power source. The 111 Code requires Telecommunication Service Providers to provide Vulnerable Consumers with an alternative solution to contact 111 in an emergency.
If you are receiving Vodafone household voice calling over broadband services over Fibre, HFC, VDSL, ADSL or Wireless technology and you, or someone you live with, do not have access to a traditional copper phone line, and is likely to need to contact 111 for health, safety or disability reasons and, you do not have the means to do so during a power failure, please read the information below and fill out a Vulnerable Consumers Application form.
If you qualify, Vodafone will provide you with an alternative means of contacting 111 in the event of a power failure, free of charge.
How can I keep track of my Wireless Broadband data?
What if I want more data?
Head to the My Vodafone app, select Plan & Add-ons and select the extra data you need. 1GB, 15GB and 50GB of data can be bought.