ADSL Broadband is fast, reliable, and available at most places in New Zealand. ADSL can be bundled with a home phone or used on it's own (called 'Naked'). ADSL stands for "Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line". The 'asymmetric' part of the definition means that download speeds and upload speeds are not the same. In other words, download speeds are faster than upload speeds.
- ADSL uses the Chorus legacy copper network (previously Telecom).
- ADSL is ideal for basic activities, like web browsing, email and online banking.
- ADSL is available across many parts of New Zealand.
ADSL was once the most common type of broadband found in New Zealand homes, but that is no longer true. Fibre has become the most common type of broadband connection in New Zealand.
About ADSL speeds.
ADSL is slower than both VDSL and Fibre broadband. Within the Chorus copper network, there are two varieties of ADSL, these are ADSL and ADSL2+. The big difference between the two is speed. ADSL can deliver a theoretical maximum speed of 7.5Mbps for download, while ADSL2+ can deliver a theoretical maximum speed of 24Mbps.
If you can't get VDSL at your location, or you won't be able to get Fibre for some time, you should consider Wireless Broadband.
Important things to know
Terms and conditions
- Residential Broadband, TV and Fixed Line Terms and Conditions apply.
- Modem and Free Connection Terms and Conditions apply.
- We cannot guarantee the availability of broadband services to you until the services are connected
- Your broadband speed will vary depending on a number of factors including NZ and overseas networks, your modem and computer technology including wifi capability, internal home wiring, other environmental factors, and how many other people are using it at the time
- Uploads and downloads count towards your monthly allowance
- Broadband is not available everywhere, and only particular types of broadband services may be available in some areas
- Services that require a fixed phone line to work, such as monitored alarms, faxes, medical alerts, the interactive features of SKY digital or PABXs are incompatible with Naked broadband
- Non-standard connection fees may apply
- Connection fees may apply
Voice calling over broadband
- ADSL Broadband and Home Phone now comes with voice calling over broadband, instead of calls over a copper line.
- Voice calling over broadband is the latest in phone line technology. It turns the old analogue voice signal into digital, which is then transmitted over the internet. We’re upgrading to this in preparation for future voice calling functionality. It will enable richer features and functionality over time.
- Once your broadband is connected you’ll now need to plug your home phone directly into your Vodafone supplied modem instead of the wall phone jack. Non-Vodafone modems will not work.
- If you use more than one phone in your home, you will need to use a DECT phone (Digitally Enhanced Cordless Telephone) because your copper jack points will no longer work. Most customers already have DECT phones but if you don’t, you can purchase one from your local electronics retailer such as Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming or The Warehouse. Remember to plug the main base station into the back of the modem.
- Voice calling over broadband requires mains power and broadband coverage to operate. If power is not available (e.g. during a power outage) broadband and any services which run over it, including voice calling or calls to Emergency 111 services may stop working unless you have battery backup in your home.
- If you have a monitored home alarm or medical alarm, you’ll need to check with your alarm company whether your alarm needs to be upgraded (or reset) from one that uses old copper lines to one that will work over mobile or broadband. Your alarm company will be able to advise whether there may be a cost to do this.
- Other services that require a traditional fixed phone line to work, such as fax machines or the interactive features of Sky Digital are currently incompatible with voice calling over broadband. You will now need to go online rather than use the remote to purchase Sky Pay Per View events and Sky On Demand Movies.
- Learn more about our voice calling over broadband including FAQs.
Find the best package for me
ADSL broadband with home phone
ADSL now comes with voice calling over broadband.
ADSL Naked Broadband
Before you buy
New customers, to sign up you'll need:
- A valid New Zealand driver's licence OR
- A copy of your New Zealand passport* OR
- A copy of your international passport, plus a copy of your residency visa, which must be valid for the duration of the plan's term.*
- You must be over 18 years of age to sign up.
*Can be supplied in PDF, JPEG, GIF, JPG or PNG format.
You may also need the following:
- Current account details or a bill from our current provider if you’re transferring your service from another provider.
- SKY account details or recent SKY bill, if you want to transfer your SKY services to Vodafone.
- Your Vodafone mobile phone, if you're taking the On Account mobile calling discount. During the sign up process we will TXT you a validation code that you’ll need to enter to confirm your eligibility.
- If you're just switching your phone line over to Vodafone and have broadband with another provider, your broadband may be disconnected when your phone line is moved to us. If you're signing up to one of our naked broadband plans and you have an existing phone line that you use for your home phone calling connected with another provider, this will be disconnected.
- Your previous address, if you’ve only lived at your current address for less than a year.
- Consent from your landlord, if you’re renting and want Ultra Fast Broadband, and your address is eligible.
- Your credit card details, if you want to set up your account to be paid by credit card each month.
Already a Vodafone fixed line and broadband customer?
You can add to or change your services in My Vodafone - or call us on 0800 438 448.
Broadband and installation
- Your broadband speed will vary depending on a number of factors, including NZ and overseas networks, your modem and computer technology, including WiFi capability, internal home wiring, other environmental factors, and how many other people are using it at the time. Uploads and downloads count towards your monthly allowance.
- If you’re switching to Vodafone, your existing provider may charge you an early termination fee.
- If you have a security alarm, there is a possibility the alarm may not work with your connection type.
- A Vodafone Ultra Hub and standard broadband connection offer is available if you’re new to Vodafone and sign up to an eligible plan for 12 or 24 months. (Modem postage and handling fee applies).
- Broadband is not available everywhere, and only particular types of broadband services may be available in some areas.
- We cannot guarantee the availability of broadband services to you until the services are connected.
- Your data allowance: When you reach the end of your plan’s data allowance, you will be charged the excess rate of $2 per gigabyte, or part thereof. Subject to change during the fixed term of your contract.
ADSL: Up to 24Mbps download, 1Mbps upload.
Early termination fee and notice period.
We made changes to our early termination charges from 26 February 2020.
- An Early Termination Fee will apply if you choose to disconnect or downgrade to a lower value broadband plan before the fixed term's end date.
- You need to let us know 30 days in advance if you wish to cancel any service.
- If you joined Vodafone from this date, on one of our current in market plans, a graduated early termination fee will apply:
- $199 early termination fee applies to a 12-month term and will reduce by $50 every three months.
- $299 early termination fee applies to a 24-month term and will reduce by $40 every three months.
|Graduated 12 Month term ETC|
|Graduated 24 Month term ETC|
- If you are an existing customer on one of our older plans and your Vodafone bill references Vodafone B, Vodafone C or REF:TCL, an early termination fee of $199 applies to a 12 month term and $299 early termination applies to a 24 months term.
On Account mobile discount.
- A $10 monthly discount applies to your broadband package when it is linked to an eligible Vodafone On Account mobile calling plan, which you, or an employer, pays for.
- Eligible plans do not include Prepay, Mobile Broadband, Mobile data, TXT only, Free2Call, Biz Mobile, Biz Data, Invitation Mobile GSM and Free Access plans.
- You can only have one On Account mobile calling plan monthly discount per broadband plan.
- If you have an existing 12 month term discount of $10 per month it will automatically be replaced by the On Account mobile calling plan discount if you link your mobile number. You can only have one of these $10 discounts per broadband plan.
- To receive the discounted monthly pricing for your home broadband plan, you have to have followed the process to link and validate your On Account mobile calling plan to your home broadband plan and remain on a validated On Account mobile calling plan.
- Each validated On Account phone number may only be registered against one home broadband plan to receive the monthly discount.
- The discount will cease to apply if you no longer have an eligible On Account mobile calling plan with Vodafone.
Set up fees.
For 12 and 24 month term:
- Free modem and standard broadband connection if you're new to Vodafone and sign up to an eligible plan for 12 or 24 months. (14.95 modem postage and handling fee applies).
For open term:
- ADSL standard broadband connection ($101.20).
- A Vodafone Ultra Hub modem may be purchased for $149 ($14.95 postage and handling charge applies) or you can choose to bring your own ADSL2+ capable modem.
Additional charges may apply for non-standard ADSL connections.
In most cases it's very easy to install an ADSL connection. Simply follow the installation instructions we've included with your modem on your connection date, and you're done. However, in some instances, you may require a Connection and Wiring option, which will need a visit from a technician if:
- You have more than 5 phone lines in use
- You have a monitored home alarm
- You use the interactive facilities on SKY Digital
- You use a PABX phone system
Please note: Even if none of these instances apply to you there is a chance that you may be required to have Connection and Wiring done.
Set up fees
- A $52.10 phone connection fee applies if you’re connecting a copper phone line that has previously been working, but isn’t active. For a brand new connection using a copper phone line, a $52.10 installation fee and additional installation charges apply (price on application).
- Phone features are an additional monthly charge to your home phone monthly fee.
- The monthly fee for phone Add-Ons is charged in advance. If you cancel any of these services part way through the month you will still be billed to the end of the month.
- There is a minimum charge of one minute for all fixed line calls. After that, your call will be rounded up and charged by the minute.
- Audio conferencing and calls to destinations not included in your calling plan will also be charged at the per minute rates of your calling plan.
- If you dial 059 or 0161 to access Telecom's network before making a call from your Vodafone home phone you'll be charged at Telecom's retail rates.
- 018 and 0900 and other special numbers are also not included in your calling plan and will be charged in addition to your calling plan.
- If you dial an area code before a local call, those calls will then be charged at national call rates.
- Calls to national landlines are $0.26 per minute, capped at $2.50 for up to two hours. Calls in excess of the two hour per call cap will be charged at $0.26 per minute.
- Calls to national mobiles are $0.39 per minute.
- Residential line to national directory (up to two enquiries per call) $0.64 per call.
- Direct connect from a landline (Push 1 to Direct Connect with an 018 call $0.42 per call.
- International directory assistance calls (up to two enquires per call) $1.93 per call.
- 0900 call costs vary - check with 0900 provider first.
- Inmarsat satellite calls $12.66 per minute*
- Iriduim satellite calls $12.27 per minute*
- Check out the full list of calling rates for all destinations
*Calling rates are subject to change and may vary between satellite prefix numbers.
Add to your plan